Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
What is the PTO?
The PTO is an informally organized partnership of involved parents, teachers and administrators who work together for the betterment of the school. The PTO’s objectives include Outreach and Communication, Fundraising and Events and Teacher Appreciation. The PTO’s annual budget is around $20,000, the bulk of which is invested back into the school. Please visit the Laurel PTO website for more information, including a calendar.
- Outreach and Communication: Helps build a welcoming environment at Laurel, spreads the word about Laurel events and volunteer opportunities including website and social media and seeks to increase community and participation from all the Laurel families.
- Fundraising/Events: Raises money for school programs and projects, primarily through Laps for Laurel. Also organizes Fall Carnival and Barnes & Noble Book Fair. Seeks outside funding and donor opportunities. This team funds the PTO’s annual budget, the bulk of which is invested back into the school vial the annual Grant process.
- Teacher Appreciation: Helps make teachers feel appreciated, supported, and connected to the community. Team sponsors teacher wish lists, individual teacher support, teacher gifts, teacher luncheons, and classroom volunteer needs.
- Admin/Grants: Effectively manages PTO operations and grant funds distribution. Conducts three competitive grant cycles per year, manages budgets, runs quarterly meetings.
- PTO Management – Administration and coordination of PTO grants, resources and teams
- PTO Team Leadership – Coordinate the team on the objectives and tasks, including annual goal setting, meeting cadence and communication.
- PTO Team Member – Attend team meetings, help establish annual goals and tasks, lead team-specific events.
- PTO Team Contributor – Be on the short-list of team supporters who volunteer or contribute to team-specific events.
- Generalist – Watch the PTO emails for opportunities to engage and volunteer.
- Ice Cream Social – the Friday before school starts, when class lists are posted
- Back to School Night – Meet the teachers, drop off school supplies and reconnect with friends after the long summer
- Grant Cycle I – First Grant Cycle. The principal attends the grant cycle meetings and provides updates about school enrollment numbers, test scores, budgets and staffing.
- Laps for Laurel – the primary fundraising event. See the Laps for Laurel site for more detail.
- Fall Carnival – a fun night of costumes and games.
- Grant Cycle II – Second Grant Cycle
- Barnes and Noble Book Fair – raises money to purchase new books for Laurel’s media center.
- Holiday Party – a “no kids” event for PTO (all welcome) and Laurel staff
- Grant Cycle III – Third Grant Cycle
- PTO Annual Planning Meeting – review and direction setting for the PTO and the Outcome Teams.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon – end of year staff luncheon and gift exchange
Information about Laps for Laurel