PSD Adopted Curriculum
Laurel teachers follow the rigorous Colorado State Academic Standards
to plan and instruct lessons. Our curriculum includes:
- Math: Follows the enVision Mathematics 2.0 for Math.
- Literacy: Offers the McGraw Hill Treasures curriculum; develops skills in Reading, Writing (spelling and handwriting), Speaking, and Listening; Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Writing
- Science: Offers the Full Option Science System (FOSS); explores scientific inquiry methods, observation and recording of natural phenomena, and teaches scientific debate.
- Social Studies: Covers Fort Collins, Colorado, and U.S. History; explores World Communities; offers field trips to local museums.
- Music: Provides choral instruction and performances; lessons in recorder, guitar, drumming, mandolin, violin, and piano; exposure to local artists; and field trips to the symphony.
- Art: Teaches basic art skills using a variety materials and media to produce different visual effects.
- Theater: Instructs students how to write, read, act, and perform in dramatic arts.
- Physical Education: Covers sports rules and skills; nutrition and wellness; movement and dance; sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive attitude.
In order to prepare students to meet the needs of the ever-changing world that will await them upon graduation, rigorous coursework is available in a variety of content areas in PSD.
Coursework in PSD not only addresses the standards specific to each subject area, but also looks to find connections between the subject matter. It is delivered through required courses that are diversified to meet individual students' needs, but also through elective classes that can address the varied interests of all participants.