The Laurel PTO is an informally organized partnership of involved parents, teachers,and administrators who work together for the betterment of the school. The Laurel PTO's objectives include Outreach and Communication, Fundraising and Events,and Teacher Appreciation. The Laurel PTO's' annual budget is around $20,000, with the bulk of budget being invested back into the school. Please visit the Laurel Laurel PTO's website for more information, including a calendar.
Any parent may join the Laurel PTO at any time and all meetings are open for parents to attend. The Laurel PTO is organized around outcomes and each outcome team meets as appropriate to its goals.
- Outreach and Communication: Helps build a welcoming environment at Laurel, spreads the word about Laurel events and volunteer opportunities including website and social media, and seeks to increase community and participation from all the Laurel families.
- Fundraising/Events: Raises money for school programs and projects, primarily through Laps for Laurel. Also organizes Fall Carnival and Barnes & Noble Book Fair. Seeks outside funding and donor opportunities. This team funds the PTO's annual budget, the bulk of which is invested back into the school via the annual Grant process.
- Teacher Appreciation: Helps make teachers feel appreciated, supported, and connected to the community. Team sponsors teacher wish lists, individual teacher support, teacher gifts, teacher luncheons, and classroom volunteer needs.
- Admin/Grants: Effectively manages PTO operations and grant funds distribution. Conducts three competitive grant cycles per year, manages budgets, runs quarterly meetings.
Quick Start: Join the Laurel PTO and Volunteers, attend a grant review meeting (timing and location is emailed) or a Team Meeting.
When you can, however you can:
- PTO Management – Administration and coordination of Laurel Lynx Volunteers grants, resources, and teams
- PTO Team Leadership – Coordinate the team on the objectives and tasks, including annual goal setting, meeting cadence, and communication.
- PTO Team Member – Attend team meetings, help establish annual goals and tasks, lead team-specific events.
- PTO Team Contributor – Be on the short-list of team supporters who volunteer or contribute to team-specific events.
- Generalist – Watch for PTO's emails for opportunities to engage and volunteer.
(some) PTO Events and Participation
- Ice Cream Social – the Friday before school starts, when class lists are posted.
- Back to School Night – Meet the teachers, drop off school supplies and reconnect with friends after the long summer.
- Grant Cycle I – First Grant Cycle. The principal attends the grant cycle meetings and provides updates about school enrollment numbers, test scores, budgets, and staffing.
- Laps for Laurel – the primary fundraising event. See the Laps for Laurel site for more detail.
- Grant Cycle II – Second Grant Cycle
- Grant Cycle III – Third Grant Cycle
- PTO Annual Planning Meeting – review and direction setting for the PTO and the Outcome Teams.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon – end of year staff luncheon and gift exchange
PTO Grant requests can be submitted by any interested party: a teacher, a parent, a student, a staff member. Grant requests are scored by all attendees of the Grant Review meetings using a rubric. Grants are awarded by score as funds will allow. Please submit a grant application with this link.