Laurel offers differentiated instruction in the regular classroom setting for all students, including those identified as Gifted and Talented. Those students identified through the Poudre School District criteria will be provided with a program that is responsive to student needs and interests.
Identification is based on the Poudre School District criteria, which centers on forming a "Body of Evidence" for students being considered for services in Gifted and Talented. The Body of Evidence consists of 4 areas and includes these assessments:
Achievement: MAPS and CSAP
Intellectual Ability: CoGATBehavior Characteristics: Gifted and Talented Evaluation
Behavior Characteristics: Gifted and Talented Evaluation Scales (GATES) and Scales for Identifying Gifted and Talented (SIGS)
Performance: Portfolios, Juried Exhibitions
Laurel's program offerings focus on the student's needs ranging from the classroom setting to individualized instruction. Our philosophy begins with these elements:
- Clustering: GT students in each grade are placed in the same homeroom to allow for collaborative groups, affective interaction with peers and curriculum compacting.
- Small Groups- We provide small group pullout sessions for GT reading and math.
- Differentiation: Teachers extensive pre/post testing in the core curriculum areas of Math, Reading, Writing, and Science support curriculum compacting, differentiated instruction and acceleration of lesson's pace.
- Odyssey of the Mind: This is offered to all students K-5 as an after-school extracurricular activity.
- Gifted and Talented Resources: